Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Tax law question. We bought a company in 2011. The previous…

Tax law question. We bought a...
Tax law question.
We bought a company in 2011. The previous owner financed it for us. Are our payments for the company a deductible expense?
3/26/2018
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. …. My name’s Lane,

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986.

I’m reading your question now.

Bear with me a moment while I type up my response.

….

Then if you have further questions we can go from there.

Tax law question.

The interest portion of the payment is deductible as business loan interest.

...

But, so sorry, the principal part of the payment ( although it DOES add to your tax basis, meaning that it would lower your capital gain on any sale of the business ... and also allows for any operating losses to be deducted) isn't CURRENTLY deductible.

...

The seller should have provided an amortization schedule. In looking at this you'll notice that in the early years almost all of the payment IS interest,

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will credit me for the work.

...

I hope you’ll rate me based on accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news / bad news content

But again, let me know if you need more here,

Lane

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS