Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

When my Mother passed away we received a notification from…

When my Mother passed away...
When my Mother passed away we received a notification from the IRS that she owed back taxes. She had $23,400 she paid to a home for health aide that year,2016. Would the payment to the
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Aide be deductible? If yes what should I do?
3/26/2018
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax, and can assist.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.

They can be deducted as medical costs, under IRC § 213(d)(1)(C).

That means itemizing, and there are rules that must be met for the deduction, but you could very well have a tax deduction. If you don't have one, I can suggest that you get a note from her doctor supporting her diagnosis and the need for in home care.

https://www.journalofaccountancy.com/issues/2011/oct/medicaldeduction.html is an example of qualifying for deduction for dementia care. The same rules should apply to similar diagnoses requiring assistance with medicines, personal care, errands, and other related care. The article I cited discusses 24 hour care and her physician letter.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.

PDtax
PDtax
PDtax