Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

We sold part of our farm in 2017. How's. How do we find the…

Customer Question
We sold part of...

We sold part of our farm in 2017. How's

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

How do we find the basis?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

A Few Years Ago We Sold 7 acres Of The Same Farm. Wil! that Sale be our new basis?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/26/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 month ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

You will report the sale transaction on form 4797

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4797.pdf

We need to have a list of assets you are selling.

You will separately list each asset - for instance - land, buildings, farm equipment.

You will need to have a separate basis for each item.

So if you did not account for these assets separately - you will need to apportion your total basis.

Your basis will be your original purchase price - assuming the farm was purchased.

Let me know if the farm was gifted or inherited?

Then - it will be adjusted by improvement expenses (+) depreciation (-) selling expenses (+) ,and some other items.

Let me know if you need help with determination.

Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 29 days ago

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor