Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I'm preparing my sons 2017 tax and see he has 2 W2 forms…

Customer Question
I'm preparing my sons...

I'm preparing my sons 2017 tax and see he has 2 W2 forms from the same job. the store he works for have changed owners this year. Do I combine the Wages in Box one and use that combined figure as his total income

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 28 days ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. …. My name’s Lane,

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986.

I’m reading your question now.

Bear with me a moment while I type up my response.

….

Then if you have further questions we can go from there.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thanks

Not sure which software package you're using, but MOST will allow for several W-2's because many work more than one job.

...

When doing it this way, the amounts WILL be totaled and put on line 7 of the tax return, "wages."

...

But if you're actually doing a return by hand, that's what you'd do; add the two together.

...

Here are the instructions for entering in TurboTax, for example:

...

"If you have more than one W-2, enter one at a time. After you enter the first W-2 and answer a few questions about it, you will get to a screen that says "Here's your W-2 Info." On that screen, below the list of W-2s that you have already entered, there is a button you can click to add another W-2. If you are filing a joint return, there will be two buttons, one for each spouse. Be sure to click the correct button for the person whose W-2 you are adding. Repeat the process until you have entered all your W-2s."

If you'd like to tell me which program you're using I can get the specific instructions. But again, all should allow for multiple W-2's

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will credit me for the work.

...

But again, let me know if you need more here,

Lane

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS