Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am a pro photographer (30yrs) and have an S corp. Work has…

Good morning, I am...

Good morning, I am a pro photographer (30yrs) and have an S corp. Work has stopped or has slowed down to where I am changing things. I have been looking for a full time job. I applied for Unemployment assistance but have been declined because I am an officer of a corp. I am going to apply for a appeal. is there something I can do or say that will swing help my way? thx, s

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I'm in Mass
3/26/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

The IRS requires that shareholders who work for S corporations, even if the shareholder is the only owner or worker, are considered employees for purposes of the Federal Unemployment Tax Act.

Therefore the S corporation must pay unemployment insurance tax on his behalf.

Theoretically, because unemployment insurance was paid on your behalf, you can apply for unemployment.

Practically - for you to be eligible for unemployment - you should satisfy the test to be "actively seeking work."

In several cases owners of S corporations who keep the S-corporation viable are NOT considered as actively seeking work even there no revenue.

In other words, to collect unemployment, you will have to prove to the state that the S corporation is no longer exists and you are conducting a job search.

Let me know if that helps.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you for your input & response!
I am in the process of asking my accountant & attorney as well. Thank you for giving me feedback first!

Please be aware that different states take different approach on the issue.

But all are basically moving to the same direction.

So far - in your application - you will need to state that you are actively seeking employment.

And the fact of dissolving your S-corportaion will be a good supporting evidence to support such position.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you ��

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor