Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

We have been the major support for an adult relative who has…

We have been the...

We have been the major support for an adult relative who has been unemployed for the past year, and is waiting for a ruling on his disability status. We have claimed him as a dependent on our 2017 tax return which has not yet been submitted. My question is this - he owns his home, free of a mortgage; however, we have paid the property taxes and want to know if we can deduct them?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Not now

3/26/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Real estate taxes are only deductible by the person who pays the tax and is legally required to pay the taxes. Since the home is in your adult relative's name, you do not meet the requirement that you are liable for the property tax.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Have a great day!

I understand that I am not liable, but as I have made the payments, do I have any recourse? Or is this viewed as simply a personal matter between 2 adults?

Any recourse as far as claiming the deduction, no.

You will have to resolve the matter with your brother since you made the payments on his behalf.

ok. I tried. thanks

I wish I could have advised you differently.