Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I've used Turbotax for many years but this year I think I…

Customer Question
I've used Turbotax for...

I've used Turbotax for many years but this year I think I have a problem with the state portion. I finished and was told I need to make quarterly payments much higher then last year and that I need to pay in excess of $1500.00. Our income and deductibles are about the same as last year but the expenses were higher. I then compared the history report and it shows I should receive a larger refund than last year? Is my copy for state taxes (MN) in error?

Accountant's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the Operating System (OS)?

HP and Microsoft.

Accountant's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

I've been working on the taxes for about 2 weeks and this is the same system I've used for the taxes the last several. years

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
3/26/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 3 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

When you were working on your return in TurboTax, did you enter ALL of your information in the federal portion first AND THEN go through the state portion?

Did you go back and forth between the federal and state?

If you made estimate payments to the state in 2017, did you enter those payments in the federal portion of your return so it carries through?

Let me know if that works so I can continue to assist you.

After the state was done I went back to federal and double and triple checked that I had entered everything and then did the same with the state but no luck. I don't understand why the history report looks correct and the "to be submitted" account obviously is not.

You may want to delete the state, log out of TT, log back in, and go through the state again.

It sounds like some information is not carrying over correctly to the state return.

For $52 dollars I can buy new tax return software and try again or do it by hand.

Any offer of a phone call is system generated. Please ignore it.