Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have my own s-corp and I do contract work for a company…

Customer Question
I have my own s-corp...
I have my own s-corp and I do contract work for a company that sends doctors to different hospitals to work. The hospital pays the company and the company then pays my s-corp. Because of the nature of the work, I am sometimes assigned to different states. My tax home is in FL, and in 2017 the 1099 received from the company reported income to GA.Since my tax home is in FL, do I need to file anything in GA? If so, do I need to file a personal return to GA as a non-resident or just an s-corp return to GA as a non-resident? Also, do I need to register my s-corp in GA?
Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Tax
3/26/2018
Tax Professional: Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 25 days ago
Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

I'm Fiona, former IRS revenue agent. I am looking at your question and will get back to you soon. Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP,IMTA

Dear Customer,

The answers to your questions are all yes.

According to the GA website instruction, the S Corporation needs to file tax return for GA source income. Individual shareholders who are not GA resident needs to file GA individual [non-resident] tax return based on the S corporation K-1's GA source income.

Therefore, it is best to register your S Corporation with the State of Georgia because your firm seems to be likely regularly work in GA.

The enclosed website link is for your further reference.

https://dor.georgia.gov/s-corporations-faq

Regards,

Fiona

Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen