Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I'm confused about the Form 2848 and the Declaration of

I'm confused about the...

I'm confused about the Form 2848 and the Declaration of Representative. I am the caregiver for my former husband who has Alzheimer's. I am his designated POA on his legal POA document which grants full power regarding taxes. But I don't know what designation to fill in on part 2 of form 2848.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

He cannot sign that, so I need to fill it out and attach to a copy of his POA document

3/26/2018
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide to you in the next thread(s).

-------------------------------

Note that telephone call and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not the experts. If you are not interested in any offers, simply decline.

Still typing...

Q: But I don't know what designation to fill in on part 2 of form 2848.

A: • I am authorized to represent the taxpayer identified in Part I for the matter(s) specified there; and • I am one of the following:

f Family Member—a member of the taxpayer’s immediate family (spouse, parent, child, grandparent, grandchild, step-parent, step-child, brother, or sister).

Even though you technically are no longer married to the taxpayer, this is the only designation that fits you.

------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

I'm in the process of responding to an IRS letter to him about his 2016 taxes. I need to show that I am authorized to do that. I'm worried about committing perjury if I'm being deceptive about being a family member. Also, what do I fill in on Part 1 of the form for what I'm allowed to do and for how long? How can I indicate that I can do everything for the rest of his life?
Do I need to fill out a 2848 form every time I work on an IRS item on his behalf?

No, one Form 2848 is all that is needed. Once the IRS receives it and inputs it into their system, it will remain in affect until it is revoked by the taxpayer.

What to put in Part 1 item 3 for Acts authorized?
What would be best to answer in Part 1 item 3 of the form 2848 regarding Acts Authorized and likewise in 5a "Additional acts authorized" to make this as broad as the POA document allows?

Part I item 3:

Income, FOIA, Civil Penalty, Sec. 5000A Shared Responsibility Payment, Sec. 4980H Shared Responsibility Payment, etc. Form #: 1040/ Years: Plug in the years that the taxpayer wants you to have authorization (Example 2018 - 2025).

-----------------------------------

Please take the time to positively rate my response 3 or more stars so that I can receive credit for assisting you. A 5 star rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant