Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

The feds are asking for a verification code from box 9 on my…

The feds are asking...

The feds are asking for a verification code from box 9 on my husbands W2.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

However, box 9 is blank. What do I do?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

His W2 from 2016 had a code, but not one from 2015!

3/26/2018
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide to you in the next thread.

-------------------------

Note that telephone call and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not the experts. If you are not interested in an offer, simply decline.

Still typing...

If your husband still works for the same company, you can possibly use the verification code from last year. Based on the following information, the verification code is an identifier for the W2 data submitted on your return. SEE BELOW:

----------------------------

Box 9. If you are e-filing and if there is a code in this box, enter it when prompted by your software. The only valid characters are the letters A-F and the digits 0-9. This code assists the IRS in validating the W-2 data submitted with your return. The code is not entered on paper-filed returns.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw2.pdf

Page 7

---------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant