Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I took a one time distribution from my IRA in 2017. It ran…

I took a one...

I took a one time distribution from my IRA in 2017. It ran my income up and resulted in a hefty tax bill.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

For 2018, I will have lower income , do I have to pay quarterly taxes based on 2017 income or can I send payments based on anticipated 2018 income?

3/25/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

You are not required to make estimated tax payments except on your anticipated tax liability for 2018 (your income in 2018).

As long as you pay at least 90% of the tax for the current year, or 100% of the tax shown on the return for the prior year, whichever is smaller, you will not have a penalty for underpayment of tax when you file for 2018.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4