Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Is an early withdrawal of an IRA taxable if the IRA was the…

Customer Question
Is an early withdrawal...

Is an early withdrawal of an IRA taxable if the IRA was the husband's and he died and the wife withdrew the IRA after his death?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My daughter's husband died 12/20/16 and he had an IRA My daughter withdrew (cashed) the IRA (in 2017) after his death. both were under 59 1/2 at the time.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/25/2018
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 month ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Yes the IRA distribution is taxable. They may have shown a code 4 on the 1099R which would mean no 10% penalty for being under 59 1/2 but it is taxable. The same it would have been taxable to the deceased the IRA is taxable to the beneficiary (even if the benficiary is the spouse).

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Did that clarify?

Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 day ago

Your question is still open. I am checking back to see if you needed more information.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4