Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Have a personal tax question. I covered professional

Have a personal tax...

Have a personal tax question. I covered professional training and moving expenses for a job that my dependent landed in 2017. Is that deductible and how?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My daughter is pursuing a career as a professional dancer. Her mom and covered training, audition and moving expenses related to the contract that she received to become an apprentice with Ballet Tucson last year. Wondering what may be deductible and how to account for it?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I'd like to explore his/her answer in depth through the chat.

3/25/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

We need to verify two items...

- are these expenses related to any taxable income which your daughter or her mother or you personally received?
- was that a temporary (less than a year) or permanent travel assignment?

Her position as an apprentice paid no salary. However, Ballet Tucson did cover the cost of 8-10 pairs of pointe shoes for her during the 7-month contract.

If these expenses are NOT related to any taxable income - we may not consider these as deductible...

Sorry.

Question 1. No. Just in-kind reimbursement through the pointe shoes.
Question 2. Temporary assignment. 7-month contract. Moved her to Tucson in August 2017. Just moved her back to Kansas City, our home, this last week.
Hi, Lev. Are we done? Or did you want provide clarification based on my last response re: Questions 1 & 2?

Sorry for delay...

We may not deduct personal expenses

See the statute

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/262

(a) General rule

Except as otherwise expressly provided in this chapter, no deduction shall be allowed for personal, living, or family expenses.

The issue here that we are looking for deduction which are related to taxable income.

If there is NO taxable income related to that activity - all expenses would be considered as personal and according to section 262 may not be deducted.

In order to be deductible - these expenses should be related to income producing activity.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor