Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am working on my taxes and i receive a pension montly

I am working on...

I am working on my taxes and i receive a pension montly check from my deceased husband. When I do my Ohio state taxes is that full amount taxable, they have a spot for survivor benefits?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

His pension is from Ohio public retirement , I receive about 1500 a month, I also receive social security which we don't pay ohio taxes on. I also work full time.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Not that i know of I am 70 years old

3/25/2018
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. …. My name’s Lane,

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986.

I’m reading your question now.

Bear with me a moment while I type up my response.

….

Then if you have further questions we can go from there.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
okay
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
no

You said ok ... then no ... I'm not sure I understand

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I do not want a phone call i wil just wait for anser you have

Regardless, in Ohio Social Security is exempt.

...

Then there's Credit of up to $200 if retirement income is at least $8,000, (this is a dollar for dollar reduction of the tax bill, not a deduction) plus a one-time credit on lump sums.

...

Seniors 65 and over may claim a $50 credit. Only one credit is allowed for each return. Out-of-state government pensions can be applied toward the retirement income credit. Taxpayers can deduct the following benefits only to the extent that they are included in the taxpayers federal adjusted gross income: Social Security, Tier 1 and TierII railroad benefits, and supplemental and other railroad benefits.

Oh I see ... sorry that's an automatic offer that comes up from the site. That wasn't from me.

...

But yes, Ohio doesn't exempt a large amount of retirement income as some other states do.

...

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
thank you. That answered my question

You're very welcome ... Your positive rating … (by using those the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit”) …is thanks enough!

That's the only way I'll be compensated by JustAnswer for the work here

...

Thank you,

Lane

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS