Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a client who lives in NC. the program is requesting…

i have a client who...
i have a client who lives in NC. the program is requesting that I certify that no consumer tax is due. How do I know if there is consumer tax and what is it exactly?
3/25/2018
taxmanrog
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Welcome to Just Answer! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!

NC, as well as most other states, are trying to capture the sales tax that is lost due to online purchases. So they want you to self-assess it and pay the tax on your state income tax return. Most states are trying to force you to either check a box or put a zero on a line to affirmatively state that they did not make any online purchases and therefore owe no tax.

Then, when they obtain lists of customers from the various online vendors, as most states are doing, and they see the taxpayer's name on the list, and they look at the tax return and see that the taxpayer affirmatively asserted that they made no purchases, they can go after them with enhanced penalties.

So if you did make any online purchases on which sales tax was not assessed, then you need to report it, or run the risk of getting caught and paying heavy penalties.

I hope this has answered your question. If you have any more, please feel free to ask and I will be happy to answer.

Thanks! Have a great weekend!

taxmanrog
Thank you. I will get with the client about this information. I appreciate your help.