Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Why does my 11.650.00 i paid out for medical not count as a…

Customer Question
Why does my 11.650.00...

Why does my 11.650.00 i paid out for medical not count as a deduction?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

We made71785.00 but the tax service i used on line didn't count this as a deduction

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/25/2018
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 month ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. …. My name’s Lane,

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986.

I’m reading your question now.

Bear with me a moment while I type up my response.

….

Then if you have further questions we can go from there.

This could be from a couple of things:

....

(1) The 7.5% AGI floor for medical deductions ... The first 5383.87 (7.5% of AGI) would be subtracted,

...

(2) Also, it's possible that your standard deduction was higher than your itemized deductions (you only get the higher of the two, can't take both)

...

Do you show a standard deduction on page two (toward the top?) or a total of itemized deductions?

If you can scan in your 1040 (blocking out social security numbers and last names so other users here can't see it) I can dig a iittle further ... but those are the first two things you should check

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS