Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I received a K1 and I don't think it was filled out

Customer Question
I received a K1...

I received a K1 and I don't think it was filled out correctly. I'm trying to find information to interpret the form

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What would you like to know?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I'm assume they would want to see the K1 form

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 3 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

There should be a number in the left upper side of the K1 (1065, 1120, 1120S, 1041) please tell me which is on your K1.

1065

Thanks, ***** ***** box or section do you question about the partnership K1? If you just want a guide look to this page

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1065sk1.pdf

Page 2 identifies the codes used on Schedule K-1 for all partners and provides summarized reporting information for partners who file Form 1040.

Please let me know

Well, I don't understand the meaning of some (most) of the form fields. For instance, the person who filled this out states:G - (both are checked)
x - General Partner
x - Domestic Partner
Then on I1 - (writes in) IndividualPart III1. 4,34814
A - 4,348
B - 5,00019 A - 2500
this should be pretty cut and dry. The LLC made $10,000 in 2017. I am 50% member. I was given I distribution of $2500. We had expenses totaling over 1K (I can get the exact number.)
I enter this into Turbo Tax and the amount it deducts from my return seems abnormally high.
My partner did not take a distribution in 2017, so his looks the same, but nothing in the field 19.

You just enter that exactly as it is shown on your K1. It i pretty cut and dry. All profits or losses just flow to the partners with or without any distributions..

My question is not how do I enter this information into TurboTax. I am asking you to explain the K-1, and confirm it was filled out correctly. I do not think it was

TurboTax generally allows for you to copy that K1 box for box on a screen that looks just like the K1 but the box 1 amount is reported on Schedule E (Form 1040), line 28, column (h) or (j).

The loss in 14 A is a reduction of box 1 so no SE tax.

I'm trying to understand you, but I am failing. Can you give me more context? I'm not sure we are solving for the same problem here. Again, I am looking for definitions of the boxes in English, so I can surmise if the information entered into this form matches the business reality. The person who filled out these forms made a lot of mistakes on really basic things, so I do not trust that the information is correct. However, I do not know what I am looking at. If this isn't your area of expertise, can you refer me to someone else? I appreciate your help.
Thanks
Emily

The box 1 is ordinary income. Ordinary business income or loss.

The box 14a is a loss this box shows Self Employment earnings or loss.

Box 19 is not going to show on your return. It too is a loss but it is for distributions. These distributions could be cash or securities.

If you want to compare you need the 1065 form the partnership filed. All the amounts carried from there to your K1.

To be clear, this is my corporation. I have the 1065 form that was filed. I am trying to figure out if he filled out the form correctly. I hired the tax consultant to put together the forms. I want to check his work.As I said:G - (both are checked)
x - General Partner
x - Domestic Partner
A - 4,348
C - 5,00019 A - 2500Questions:
1 - Why would he check both: x - General Partner, and x - Domestic Partner and then on I1 - (writes in) Individual
2 - We brought in 10K. I am a 50% member. There were $1100 in expenses. Is this out it should be laid out?
14
A - 4,348
C - 5,0003. Why does 14 have A and C? From what I can tell, one is the same at box 1, and the other has something to do with a farm. When I add them both in Turbo Tax, it seems to think these are to be added together.
Okay, I give up. I'm clearly not going to get the information I'm ask for out of you. I've contacted a CPA. Can you please cancel this request?