Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I received a K 1 from an MLP held in my IRA rollover

I received a K...

I received a K 1 from an MLP held in my IRA rollover account. Do I report these figures the same as I do all other K 1 accounts I have? I thought an IRA account that continues to grow just changes the amount of the annual distribution requirement.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I have several more K 1 holdings and I understand the tax treatment for them, but an MLP held in a IRA rollover I think should not reported.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Richard, Tax Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. No, a K-1 relating to an interest owned in an IRA does not go on your personal return. It's income to the IRA, not to you. Therefore, the income on the K-1, as you thought, does not go on your personal return.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Ok and thanks, that is what I thought also.

You're very welcome! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I will give you five stars.

Thank you so much! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time!

Richard, Tax Attorney
Richard, Tax Attorney