Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have been living abroad for more than 5 years, and in 2016…

Customer Question
I have been living abroad...
I have been living abroad for more than 5 years, and in 2016 I qualified for the Foreign income exclusion under the resendency test. However, in 2017 we moved back to the USA on April 1st 2017. Will I still be able to exclude the foreign income earned from Jan - Mar 2017?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
3/25/2018
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 3 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Yes, you can use the 12 month period as April 2016 to April 2017 and the days in the tax year 2017 , although less than required amount, will be used to prorate the exclusion. You will only be allowed a portion of the exclusion based on the actual number of days in 2017 that you were abroad.

This is calculated on the Form 2555 or form 2555EZ.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Can I still use the bona fide residence test? Or do I need to do Physical presence test?

You can but the tax year does not change nor the prorating of the exclusion.

A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting.