Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am a church treasure and I gave our choir director and…

I am a church...

I am a church treasure and I gave our choir director and preacher a 1099 Misc because I didn't take out taxes . They said this was in correct what form should I give them

Accountant's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

North Carolina

Accountant's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

The choir director had her taxes filled out said she should have got some money back but did not because of the 1099 form . She is retired and is 74 years old

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have not talked to the preacher but how will this effect her she is 77 years old . We are a very small church

3/25/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If the church paid more than $600 - that is correct to issue form 1099misc to the payer.

However - we need to classify that person correctly.

If that person is an employee - we need to issue form W2 and - yes - withhold taxes

If that person is a contractor who provides service for your organization - 1099misc is appropriate and report thatpayment in box 7

Here is specific IRS publication for nonprofit organization regarding determination

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/employment_tax_issues_important_to_all_tax-exempt_entities.pdf

Exempt organizations do not have to withhold or pay employment taxes on payments to independent contractors, but they may have information reporting requirements for those workers.

Let me know if you need any help with determination.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor