Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My parent's primary residence was sold in 2017 when they…

My parent's primary residence...

My parent's primary residence was sold in 2017 when they moved into assisted living. They purchased the land in the late 70's and built the home in the mid 80's. They are currently 86 and 84 and have no memory of where any documents related to land purchase or construction of the home may be. How do we compute basis of the cost of the home for tax purposes?

3/24/2018
Richard, Tax Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good afternoon. Can you tell me the sale price? Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
$195,000

Thank you. In that case, it makes no difference what the basis is because of Section 121 of the Internal Revenue Code. Since this was their principal residence since the purchase, and they are married, under Section 121 of the Internal Revenue Code, they can exclude up to $500,000 of gain from the sale of their principal residence. Thus, since the sale price was only $195,000, even if the basis is zero, the gain does not exceed $500,000; thus any and all gain would be excluded from income under Section 121. This is a link to that Code section: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/121

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Tax Attorney

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your help

My pleasure! :) Take care!

Richard, Tax Attorney