Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

After a horrendous last few years in my life, I literally…

After a horrendous last...

After a horrendous last few years in my life, I literally told a friend last night, I believe my life is finally just, maybe starting to turn around. Then, I get a letter from the IRS today telling me they want to do a correspondence audit, I guess you call it, of my 2015 taxes. I was left by my wife in January 2014 for another guy and she dragged the separation and divorce out and seemed to want it be as painful as possible - sending me word she was filing on the day she knew we took my father off of life support. My father died from what should have been a routine surgery - after being on life support for 6 months. I have moved several times since then. I have been trying to keep my mother afloat - he prepared zip for her future after he died - while she continues to be very hostile to me. This nearly bankrupt me. I got last year only to have her break it off at the last minute because she missed her home 1,000 miles away (and it turns out, her old boyfriend, who was newly single). I found out one month ago, I, along with several other tenured profs here at CSU, are being laid off for the coming year due to budget cuts. That on top of everything else put me in a serious tailspin and I am having to take a few weeks FMLA starting next week to get my head right. The stress is absolutely overwhelming. I have decided to move back to my home and Texas and start from scratch. Pearl, to be candid, I haven't the slightest idea where the records the IRS is asking for are. Between the ex coming to Northern Colorado for several loads of stuff, poor record keeping on my part - it was just hard enough to breath and do what I absolutely had to the last several years, a never-was wife moving in and out, and me now moving, with most of my stuff in stacks of boxes in a storage building in Texas, again, I have no idea where medical, dental, misc, and one other category of receipts are. Because of a variety of health problems, I have seen, been poked and prodded by so many different labs, hospitals, docs, etc.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Here are my questions. 1. What if I can't find or reproduce a receipt or record? 2. I am going out on FMLA because of what is called Complex-PTSD, a particular severe form of it. It is due to about 10 years of constant, unrelenting, existential stress from which I never get a rest. It has wreaked havoc on my physical as well as mental health. I prepared my own taxes using TurboTax. Pearl, I am physically, emotionally and mentally exhausted. Can I provide what I have, reconstruct what I can reconstruct and just politely ask "What is the bill please?" and get on with whatever I need to pay to put this behind me? The idea of yet another drawn-out, giant stressor in my life is absolutely overwhelming.

Please pardon the typos. I know the IRS won't care about all of that. But I am sitting here literally in despair. With PTSD, one is always afraid of "Which shoe is going to drop next", which is why I have such an anxiety reaction to answering email, checking the mail, answering the phone or answering the door. I have lived most of my life for the last several years on zombie mode, a notch or two above plant life - except when I thought I had met a wonderful girl, we had something special and I was making a comeback. Just can't seem to muster this comeback thing and this today has gotten me worried sick.
Hello?
3/25/2018
Mark Anderson
Mark Anderson, Tax Attorney

The IRS will want receipts. I have used emails showing airline tickets for proof of job hunting expenses. You could use the PTSD to show hardship. The IRS is going to want documentation or proof.

What is hardship all about? I have been diagnosed with Complex PTSD and Anxiety Disorder.

I would just bring up your PTSD and it affect to retain records.

Mark Anderson
Mark Anderson, Tax Attorney
Phone call session started

Thanks for accepting my answer.