Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Got 8009-A saying my 1040X was wrong. Boxes 4 and 9 are

Got 8009-A saying my...

Got 8009-A saying my 1040X was wrong. Boxes 4 and 9 are checked. Box 9 says some info on the indentification information on the 1040X is incorrect but it is not. I have been over and over it.1040X

3/24/2018
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax, and can assist.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Great

I suspect IRS did a name and social security name and number check and one item did not match their records.

I would start by reviewing the original tax return as filed, and comparing it to the 1040X for dependent names and socials. Middle initials, hyphenated names, a numerical error could all be the cause.

Consider reviewing all the names against their social security cards. If all are correct, your response could include copies of all the cards along with your response letter. IRS will review your proof and adjust their records to process your amendment.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I have looked it over several times and it is correct. I evwn compared them to the last two year taxes. Why do I have to file an 8812 (box 4). It does not apply.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Still there?

They are looking for accuracy in your dependent claims. This has become a huge issue for IRS, with a robust market in dependents for earned income credit claims. Billions in fraudulent refunds were issued before IRS tightened up in this area.

If you checked your records, it's possible that identity theft could be a concern. I would send in my response with copies of all the social security cards, and explain that 8812 is not needed as part of your filing. They will review their records and respond, likely with acceptance if your records prove things as you understand them. If IRS still has questions, they will go into more detail in any follow up correspondence.

PDtax
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I hate the IRS! Thank you,
PDtax
PDtax