Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am working on my deceased husband's insolvency. I want to…

I am working on...

I am working on my deceased husband's insolvency

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I want to know if I have to list 100% of our checking/saving accounts to insolvency if I file married jointly

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

He received a 1099C due to death from Fed student loan and he has an American express discharge loan but I didn't receive 1099c for that canceled loan

3/24/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

I assume that the debt was cancelled AFTER his death - correct?

Your husband income tax return will include ONLY income he received before the day he passed away.

All income received after that are reported on the income tax return of his estate.

So that is not insolvency of your husband - but insolvency of his estate.

Include all assets and all debts the estate had on the day BEFORE the debt was cancelled.

Let me know if you need any help.

He doesn’t have estate account
He doesn't have estate account, he
lost everything during the financial crisis of 2008 and
he retired
All assets we have is our checking/saving accounts

That makes no difference for tax reporting.

But income reported on form 1099C - is NOT his income and is not included into his income tax return - BECAUSE it was cancelled after his death.

So - when you will mention the date of death on his tax return - that will determine which income to include there.

Do not include 1099C with his tax return.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
What should i do with this 1099c?
Phone call session started

Just to summarize...

So far - that income reported on 1099C is not your husband's income,

but income of his estate.

I suggest simply to add a note - mention that he passed away on <date>

and that the debt was cancelled AFTER his death and belong to his estate,

but there is NO estate left - and no money to pay for filing the form 1041.

In most situations - that will work.

If for any reason the IRS will send you a question regarding that form 1099C - in this case you will file 1041 for the estate - but let first try to avoid that filing.

Thank you for your help