Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Just a sec. I have an extremely simple question that I have…

Just a sec Accountant's...

Just a sec

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I have an extremely simple question that I have been researching for an hour with no luck. I just want to know what line of Schedule C to deduct professional education expenses as single member LLC owner.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

That's it. It blows my mind I can't find the answer in two seconds through google. The only answer seems to be "record it as a business expense on schedule C". Not very helpful.

3/24/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

This item doesn't fit any category on schedule C.

List it in Part V Other Expenses

add a line "professional education expenses" and list the amount of your cost.

It will be summarized on line 48 - and that deduction will be included

into line 27a Other expenses

That is common treatment for all business expenses that may not be categorized.

Questions?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I am classifying the following under Other business Expenses, which would be correct on your advice?
Professional Books and Journals
Professional Education
Professional Events
Professional MembershipsIf this is basically correct, please let me know. I am a single member LLC
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I just need a yes or no answer
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
to be sure I have understood what you said.

Yes - that is correct listing.

Just be sure to keep all supporting documents for these expenses.

Do not send any supporting documents with your tax return.

Just keep for your record.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor