Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

When my son and his wife filed their taxes at the end of the…

When my son and...

When my son and his wife filed their taxes at the end of the process a message came on the screen that their W2 for 2016 was missing. Well, they went back and entered that information. The program added the 2016 information to their income for 2017. They didn't notice the error until after they had filed. The IRS sent them a letter telling them there was an error and would be resolved within 30 days. What is their recourse? My son is very worried about the IRS doing something to him. He really didn't do anything wrong.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Should he file an amended return or wait.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/24/2018
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide in the next thread(s).

-----------------------------

Note that telephone calls and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not the experts. If not interested, simply decline.

Still typing...

decline

In brief, as the 2016 W2 was inadvertently added with 2017 info, they will need to amend their 2017 tax return, deleting the W2 from 2016. They would amend their return by filing the Form 1040X. They will also need to amend their 2016 tax return to include the W2 that inadvertently got added to 2017.

Link to Form 1040X:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf

-------------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
no thank you