Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

What is the tax benefit rule? What is the Tax Benefit Rule?

What is the tax...

What is the tax benefit rule?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What is the Tax Benefit Rule?

3/24/2018
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax, and can assist.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good morning

The tax benefit rule allows that refunds or additions to income are only taxable to the extent those items created a tax benefit in a prior year.

An easy example is a state tax refund received from last year's taxes. If the taxpayer did not itemize in the prior year, the refund saved $0 tax dollars, so the refund is not taxable.

I see you are online. good morning. Please review and ask any follow up.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback, five stars being best, ***** ***** and credits me with assisting. I'm PDtax.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. Disconnecting now.

Please leave positive feedback to complete your request. Thanks.

PDtax

PDtax
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Stop Contacting me. We are finished. I doubt that I will ever need your input again. Cancel any memberships I may have enrolled in.Ronald E. Antlitz M.S.* CPA
*M.S. in Taxatio
PDtax
PDtax