Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

What is the tax benefit rule? What is the Tax Benefit Rule?

What is the tax...

What is the tax benefit rule?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What is the Tax Benefit Rule?

3/24/2018
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax, and can assist.

Good morning

The tax benefit rule allows that refunds or additions to income are only taxable to the extent those items created a tax benefit in a prior year.

An easy example is a state tax refund received from last year's taxes. If the taxpayer did not itemize in the prior year, the refund saved $0 tax dollars, so the refund is not taxable.

I see you are online. good morning. Please review and ask any follow up.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback, five stars being best, ***** ***** and credits me with assisting. I'm PDtax.

Thank you. Disconnecting now.

Please leave positive feedback to complete your request. Thanks.

PDtax

PDtax
Stop Contacting me. We are finished. I doubt that I will ever need your input again. Cancel any memberships I may have enrolled in.Ronald E. Antlitz M.S.* CPA
*M.S. in Taxatio