Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If my girlfriend fills out form 982, debt forgiveness for…

Customer Question
If my girlfriend fills out...
If my girlfriend fills out form 982 , debt forgiveness for $19,000, does she still need to file a form 1040. Her total income only comes from Social Security Disability of $762.00 per month. which comes out to $9144.00 per year. I am just trying to find out what exactly does she need to file besides Form 982.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Tax
3/23/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Can you specify

- is that credit card debt?

- mortgage?

- student loan forgiveness?
- other?

credit card debt , yes.
she received a 1099 form from credit card company stating that they are canceling her debt of $19,000 dollars and will be reporting this to the IRS.
as far as talking on the phone i will have to get my girlfriend who is not here right now

You might be eligible to exclude all or part of canceled debt from taxable income if any exemption apply

-- you should file a form 982 -

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f982.pdf

- to proof your exemption. you may exclude the forgiven debt - if you are insolvent .

.

For your own record - you need to keep an insolvency worksheet - the form may be found in IRS publication 4681, page 6 -

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4681.pdf

If you are insolvent - on form 982 - check the box on line 1(b) and
put the forgiven amount on the line 2 - $19,000

Attach form 982 to the tax return - form 1040.

We would need to file even otherwise she woudl not be required to file.

Let me know if you need any help.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.

I am having difficulty in giving you an excellent rating so that you will get the credit you deserve for answering my tax question on credit card debt forgiveness. How should i proceed in getting to the rating page

How do I rate an answer?

You can give your rating by selecting one of the five faces located under each answer. Giving a positive rating compensates the Expert for their time with you. If the value of your question is more than the value of your deposit, then your deposit will be applied toward the balance due and the remainder will be debited from your previously specified payment method. Please remember that your Expert will not be paid until you leave a positive rating for the answer.