Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I forgot to file form 7004 for extension of form 1065. I…

I forgot to file...

I forgot to file form 7004 for extension of form 1065. I tried to file the extension after 3/15/18 but it was rejected by IRS. What penalties will I incur?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

We have a LLC partnership = 2 partners

3/23/2018
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. My answer will be presented in the next thread.

thank you

In brief, you do not qualify for the First Time Abatement relief, therefore, the penalty is $195 per month, per partner, that the return is late. SEE BELOW:

---------------------------

Partnerships file IRS Form 1065, which carries a penalty of $195 a month per partner, up to a maximum of one year. The IRS counts partial months as full months, so waiting to file can be costly.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://bizfluent.com/list-6812686-penalties-filing-irs-form-1065.html

----------------------------------

You may qualify for administrative relief from penalties for failing to file a tax return, pay on time, and/or to deposit taxes when due under the Service's First Time Penalty Abatement policy if the following are true:

• You didn’t previously have to file a return or you have no penalties for the 3 tax years prior to the tax year in which you received a penalty.
  • You filed all currently required returns or filed an extension of time to file.
  • You have paid, or arranged to pay, any tax due.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/penalty-relief-due-to-first-time-penalty-abatement-or-other-administrative-waiver

-------------------------------

In closing, if you do not require further assistance with this matter, I ask that you please take the time to positively rate my response by selecting 3 or more stars so that I can receive credit for assisting you. A 5 star rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant