Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

2017 - I lived in WI until June (5 months), then in OHIO (7…

2017 - I lived in...
2017 - I lived in WI until June (5 months), then in OHIO (7 months). However for my job I travel and spend about one week a month in AZ and about one week a month in WI and then 2 in OH. Only WI state taxes were withheld. How do I need to report this and to which state do I have to file and or pay?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/23/2018
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. Lane here,

...

A state only has two different authorities to tax;

...

(1) your being a resident, and

(2) your having that state's "source income."

...

Your resident state taxes you on all worldwide income, but then gives you a credit for the taxes paid to other states.

...

SO what you'll need to do is three returns;

...

Ohio Determines residency this way (From OH dept of taxation).

...

"Residency Status

• Resident. You were a resident of Ohio if you lived in Ohio for the entire year. If you were away temporarily, you were still a resident of Ohio.
  • Part-year resident. You moved into or out of Ohio during 2017, not counting being away temporarily.
  • Nonresident. You were domiciled outside of Ohio all year."

...

This means that you'll final as a part year resident in Ohio ... See this from Ohio: "Part-year residents should use the nonresident credit on the Ohio Schedule of Credits (as explained in the 2017 Ohio income tax instructions) for income earned while a resident of another state."

...

In Wisconsin, you'll file a 1NPR. See this from Wisconsin:

...

"You must file Form 1NPR, if you meet the following requirements:

• Were domiciled in another state or country at any time during the year OR
  • Are married filing a joint return and your spouse was domiciled in another state or country at any time during the year.'

​...

Then you'll file a 140NR Nonresident Personal Income Tax Form for arizona to report the Arizona source income.

...

If your Arizona income is below the exemption amount you may not need to file:

For a Single filer that's$ 5,500 ... and for a Married filer it's $15,000

...

If your arizona source income is over that amount you'll file the 140NR reporting only the Arizona Source income.

...

Because of the withholding done to WI, you'll be getting a refund there, but then you'll likely owe in Oh and possibly in AZ depending on income amounts.

...

The bot***** *****ne once all three returns are done, and you get credit for taxes paid to the other states, you'll end up paying at the highest rate, but only once.

...

I would seriously consider either getting help in filing this year OR use turbotax or one of the other packages and use the step by step (sometimes called the interview) method so that you can tell the software who much was earned in each state and enter the WI W-2 box by box.

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS