Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My husband died 12 -03-17 I didn't file any icome tax for…

My husband died...

My husband died 12 -03-17 I didn't file any icome tax for him or me I get only2090 social security and small pension 233.00 so I don't think I have to am I wrong we didn't have to pay anything when he was living

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

No I just don 't want to be in trouble iam 70 yrs old

3/23/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

What was the amount of any income your husband had before he passed away?

3600.00 a yr

You are not required to file still. Even though your husband passed away before the end of the year, if you had to file you could still file joint BUT you and he are not required to file a return for 2017.

Please accept my condolences on your loss and I hope this has been helpful.

are you saying that I don't have to file never again if every thing stays the sam e and what about death tax

No I am saying for 2017 you do not have to file. If your income does not change it is likely that you do not have to file for 2018 either. I did not say NEVER

Death tax would be Estate tax. Did your husband have assets that were more than $5 million? If not then his estate has no tax to pay either.

all so I forgot he he left me 2300 in the bank but is now all most gone on house repairs

That is not taxable and is not enough to require you file for Estate tax or income tax.

thank you very much I can sleep now I thought I was doing something worng

You are most welcome

Best wishes to you

Any call offer is site generated, just ignore it.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4