Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My daughter lives and works in Bermuda, she's tasked me (her…

Customer Question
My daughter lives and...

My daughter lives and works in Bermuda, she's tasked me (her dad) to find out a tax answer.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

She is a Dual Citizen, US and Bermudian. She earns Bermuda Dollars, works under her Bermuda citizenship, and uses her Bermuda Social Id number. But she wants to confirm that she does NOT need to pay taxes on her BDA dollars, as she uses her citizenship and ID number there with a Bermuda company.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Not that I can think, she is 25 years old, did file US taxes for 20010 and 2011 when she lived here. But I've explained to her that she is working as a Bermudian, w/Bermudian credentials, and the US has no involvement in that. She's just worried someday she'll come back and the US will want back taxes, The US tax system is NOT trusted what so ever overseas.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/23/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 month ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

As a U.S. citizen, a taxpayer is required to report and pay tax on his/her WORLDWIDE income.

Because she lives and works in Bermuda, she can exclude her Foreign Earned Income up to $102,100.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/foreign-earned-income-exclusion

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Even if she is working and earning under her Bermuda Social Identification Number? I don't see where that would fall into that category? Is this law all inclusive of citizens of that country, even as a dual?

Unfortunately, if she did not renounce her US citizenship, she is still required to file a tax return in the US even if she owes no tax.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent