Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My son hasn't filed a tax return in several years. How do we…

Customer Question
My son hasn't filed...

My son hasn't filed a tax return in several years. How do we go about getting that corrected?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

He went to work for a guy that gave him a 1099 at the end of the year. He did not know what to do, had no money to pay and simply ignored the problem. i didn't know about this until the damage was done, i would like to help him now, but don't know how to start.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

He hasn't filed for a number of years. if he gets a job and the employer withholds all necessary withholdings, will IRS attached his wages?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 1 month ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide to you in the next thread(s).

---------------------------

Note that telephone calls and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site,not the experts. If you are not interested, simply decline.

Still typing...

The first thing that your son needs to do is to obtain the Wage and Income Transcripts for the years in question. He can request the transcripts in a few different ways. Online, telephone, or by mail. Once he gets the transcripts, which will show was income information was reported to the IRS, he can then file his returns. If he has more than 6 years of returns, it is not necessary for him to file. To be considered being in compliance, the IRS requires that the last 6 years of tax returns be filed. In the next thread I will provide the detailed information on how to request the transcripts.

Online:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Via telephone (dedicated transcript line):

(###) ###-####/p>

Via Mail using the form 4506-T:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf

----------------------------------

If you would like a situational analysis of your son's situation, I can provide that to you. However, that would be considered a premium service, which will be in addition to the cost of the question. Let me know if you would like for me to make an offer. You are under no obligation to accept the offer.

----------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant