Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My father was a US citizen with Hungarian property. (We were…

Customer Question
My father was a...

My father was a US citizen with Hungarian property. (We were both born in Hungary). He and my mother had a condominium that was sold and Hungarian law automatically distributes 1/2 to the wife and the other half is split 3 ways. Do we have to pay tax on the money? The total is approximately $200,000.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Attorney is handling process I Hungary and it appears he will send the entire amount to my mother for distribution.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 month ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

There would be no tax to pay. As your father was a US citizen the property sold in Hungary would not place you in a position to require the form 3520 either. The form 3520 is used when a US person receives $100,000 or more form a NON US person. There is no tax and no reporting.

Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 27 days ago

Just checking to see if you responded at all

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4