Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a student who welds with his father and that is what…

Customer Question
I have a student...

I have a student who welds with his father and that is what he plans to do as a career. We are having a tough time getting him to come to school. I teach English. He says he doesn't need a HS diploma because all he is going to do is farm and weld. May I use some of the information on this page to try to get him to see that he DOES need that diploma?

Accountant's Assistant: If I wasn't so happy working for JustAnswer I'd talk to one of our job experts. They either help find great new jobs for people or help them sort out problems with their current one. Is there anything else important you think the Employment Specialist should know?

Just looking for motivation to get a HS diploma

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
3/23/2018
Tax Professional: Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 3 months ago
Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

I'm Fiona, former IRS revenue agent. I am looking at your question and will get back to you soon. Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP,IMTA

Dear Customer,

I heard of and actually read a story on teaching English as second language curriculum.

It reads this, "Harry looks at Mary. Harry puts his hand on Mary's lap. Mary says no. Harry looks at Joanne." Or something like that.

You have to find him what attracts his attention.

Part I.

Are there pretty young ladies in your classes and can you tell him that he may want to mate someday and woman may want to have someone at least have a HS diploma to show that they are eligible bachelors?

In reality, accounting, economy, and taxes are real life. To resolve my clients' financial difficulties, I often encourage them to consider marriage or mating at certain time and with whomever as a proper way to continue or achieve a financially sustainable and sound life.

Part II.

If he is married already or has a girl friend or with good parents, talk to them to get them to persuade him.

Part III.

From his career and job purpose, what do your program teach so that he can feel useful? Do you teach the difference between independent contractor and wage earner, and their tax difference to him?

If your curriculum is not useful, he could be right in not getting it.

Is there any way you can modify the curriculum to fit his need?

Can you change the project for him to do website research on the subject to his interest? Have him read some semi-technical textbooks and write report and do oral presentation in class for those?

Can you modify the math and engineer type of questions on subjects on his career to fit his career need?

Can you somehow get him to take classes in the apprentice or union classes to his interest and substitute those classes for your HS requirement?

Can he take a basic farming related course in nearby college or university?

Part V.

Apply for some type of scholarship for him. That is, he is paid to come to classes.

I know it is hard because he is probably not a VA. But it could be a paid internship of some sort. Then, you can have the hardware store owner pays him to work in his store but contingent on he goes to school for certain hours.

Part VI.

Whoever gets him the farming and welding job, ask them to require him to come to school.

Part VII.

He comes to school for fun. Does the sports class qualify for HS credits?

If he is actually working, he comes to school for relaxation and rest. You don't force him to read poems. You encourage him to listen to music and compose poems on farming and give him all As.

Are there curriculum on science of farming, gardening?

Part VIII.

Research the license and credential of your State in the areas of farming and welding. Maybe those credentials or job openings or registration license make clear statement of requirements that HS diploma.

Part IX.

Look into the website below. It says welding is science and it is a local college's degree program. There must be something you can use to encourage him and let him know that it is not just labor force work he is looking at. If he wants to do welding, he has to know the science to improve the skills to get ahead for this century and in today's computer age. Can you get him computer courses in applied subjects?

http://www.careersinwelding.com/students.php

If after your research and effort, you identify for yourself that all your school's classes could not have helped this kid in promoting himself in the farming and welding career, he could be right and you could be wrong.

Please feel free to follow up.

Regards,

Fiona