Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have POA for my brother who is in a nursing home. He is…

Hi. My name...

Hi. My name is***** I have POA for my brother who is in a nursing home. He is also blind. Can I get his taxes done for him. They was not done last year.

Accountant's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?

Albany, NY

Accountant's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have the POA and his w2, He is retired and getting SSI and his retirement pension.

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Both of his checks go to the nursing home, which started in October 2017 and March of 2018.

3/23/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Yes - you may prepare his tax return as POA and sign for your brother.

You will need to use this form

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f2848.pdf

You will need to have your brother's signature on this form.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Is that all the forms that I need?

That form 2848 will used to authorize you to represent your brother before the IRS.

That is official POA form accepted by the IRS.

You may prepare that form for your brother - and he will need to sign.

When the IRS will have this form on file - you will be able to to request and inspect confidential tax information and to perform all acts (that is, sign agreements, consents, waivers or other documents) that your brother can perform with respect to matters described in the power of attorney.

.

Specifically - you will be allowed to prepare and sign his tax returns.

When you do so - you will need to attach form 2848 to his tax return.

.

To prepare his tax return - use form 1040

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf

lines 20a and 20b - you will report social security benefits

lines 16a and 16b - report his pension.

Let me know if you need any help with calculations.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thanks

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor