Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My daughter moved into her new home November 2017. she wants…

Customer Question
My daughter moved into...

My daughter moved into her new home November 2017. she wants to claim sales tax fronnew landscaping, new concrete fence. is this allowable.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My daughter is only interested in sales tax deduction for Nevada. the new home needed landscaping and a side concrete fence. the sales tax was $1000.Is this a deductible amount.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/23/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 month ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Nevada does not have income tax, so it would not be deductible in Nevada.

As to federal, the IRS has estimated how much sales tax people at various income levels pay on average in each state based on that state's sales tax rates.

You are allowed to add the actual sales tax you pay for:

• the purchase of a motor vehicle (including a car, motorcycle, motor home, recreational vehicle, sport utility vehicle, truck, van, and off-road vehicle)
  • a leased motor vehicle
  • an aircraft or boat, if the tax rate was the same as the general sales tax rate, or
  • a home (including a mobile home or prefabricated home) or substantial addition to or major renovation of a home, but only if the tax rate was the same as the general sales tax rate).

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent