Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I sold my house and got about 12,000 in profit. This is a…

I sold my house...

I sold my house and got about 12,000 in profit. This is a House i was living at, no rental property. I am receiving Social Security Benefits SSDI). Will they consider this an earned income (gain full activity)? Will they take away my SSDI? I am already making about $6,000 a year in earned income.

Accountant's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

In overseas righ now. But my house was in Iowa. I’m an Iowa resident.

Accountant's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Nothing. I consulted an attorney last year, but he didn’t know the answer. I sold my house last year. I still have to do the income tax. I think an experienced Social Security Lawyer can answer this question.

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not sure. How much he will charge for answer? Or she?

3/23/2018
Kelly McGlynn
Kelly McGlynn, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hello. Thank you for your question. I'm Kelly and am here to help you today. I am reviewing your question and will be with you shortly.

If the sale was your primary residence and you lived there for at least 2 of the last 5 years, the gain on the sale in excluded from income up to $250,000 for single taxpayers.

Thanks for answering. My question was if I am going to lose my Social Security Disability benefits or SSDI (not SSI which is Supplemental Income). Sorry about it.

I see. I am not an expert on social security benefits so I will opt out and allow another expert to assist you with this question. Have a good day.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If you are getting social security disability benefit s- which are based on working record - these benefits will NOT be affected.

The gain realized on the sale is NOT earned income - so that will not affect the amount neither the amount of your benefits nor your disability determination.

Moreover - if that was your personal dwelling - you woudl not be taxable in that gain either.

Let me know if you need any clarification this matter.

Lev, nice to hear that! Thanks for your answer.Also, part of the House was used for business (home business), but only 17%. If so, will a proportion of that “profit” (about $12,000 total) will be considered earned income?This is probably a second question, so it will be OK is you want to charge a little bit more.

You may realize some taxable gain when the property was used for business purposes - that is correct.

However while that gain will be taxable - that is still NOT earned income - and will not affect the amount of your social security benefits.

Earned income is income from wages or self-employment income.

As you likely owned the property more than a year - it will be long term capital gain - taxed at reduced rates.

Some gain may be taxed at zero percent - and some at 15% - depending on your total income.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
THANK YOU LEV! I appreciate your answer. Gonna sleep better tonight :)