Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I need help please. I care for several kids and take care of…

Customer Question
Hello Accountant's Assistant: Hi...

Hello

Accountant's Assistant: Hi. How can I help?

I need help please

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I care for several kids and take care of someone I usually file on a schedule c since I get paid with cash no check but I was told I was filing my taxes the wrong way that I couldn't use the schedule c cause I'm not licensed as self employer, I just filed this years taxes how I was advised as a household employee and now my taxes are delayed I believe I'm being audited

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

income reported 12,200

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Tax
3/23/2018
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 27 days ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Your classification as Self Employed or Employee is not based on if you are licensed but where you are doing this work. If you care for these people in your own home you are self employed even if you have no license. But if you are going to work in the person's home then you are a Household Employee and they are supposed to treat you as an employee.

You are to receive a W2 and this person that hired you to work in their home must pay tax too depending on how much they pay you.

These people are advised as follows:

"Household employees include housekeepers, maids, babysitters, gardeners, and others who work in or around your private residence as your employee. Repairmen, plumbers, contractors, and other business people who provide their services as independent contractors, are not your employees. Household workers are your employees if you can control not only the work they do but also how they do it."

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4