Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Tax Question, Who can claim property taxes for a property…

Tax Question, Who can claim property...
Tax Question,
Who can claim property taxes for a property during the year of divorce on schedule A as an itemized deduction? This is for a community property State, but couple was divorced during the year.
3/23/2018
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional

Hello!

My name is***** will assist you today.

Please give me one moment while I review your question and type my initial response

Ok

To be able to deduct property tax, the tax payer must be responsible for the tax and actually pay the tax. Give me a moment and I will link to the publication

That doesn't answer the question
Both have joint ownership in a community property state
both are responsible for the tax

Even if the couple is getting divorced and in a community property state. The tax payer has to be responsible, so they both meet that qualification, then the next step is determining who actually paid the tax

Can you please provide an authoritative reference that says this?

If the payment came out of a joint account, then the tax payers can choose who uses the deduction. Regardless of whether they are married, friends or divorced.

Publication 530

"You can deduct real estate taxes imposed on you. You must have paid them either at settlement or closing, or to a taxing authority (either directly or through an escrow account) during the year. "

There is several other areas in this publication, which I can also give you.

Topic Number 503 - Deductible Taxes

"To be deductible, the tax must be imposed on you, and you must have paid it during your tax year. Taxes may be claimed only as an itemized deduction on Form 1040, Schedule A.pdf, Itemized Deductions."

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc503

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p530#en_US_2017_publink100011839

Please let me know if this has answered your question or if you have any additional questions.

When you have no further questions a positive rating of 5 stars is much appreciated.

Thank you!

Did this information answer your question?

Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®