Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Can I deduct moving expenses on form 3903 for the amount…

Can I deduct moving expenses...
Can I deduct moving expenses on form 3903 for the amount shown on my W-2 with code P?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Hello!

My name is***** will assist you today.

Please give me one moment while I review your question and type my initial response

Form W-2 - Code P Moving Expense Reimbursements. An amount with code P will transfer to Line 4 of Form 3903 for moving expenses.

Below is a link to Form 3903 for your convenience.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f3903.pdf

"Enter the total amount your employer paid you for the expenses listed on lines 1 and 2 that is not included in box 1 of your Form W-2 (wages). This amount should be shown in box 12 of your Form W-2 with code P . "

Please let me know if this has answered your question or if you have any additional questions.

When you have no further questions a positive rating of 5 stars is much appreciated.

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is that amount deductible?

It depends.

Line 5 "Is line 3 more than line 4? "

In NO --"You cannot deduct your moving expenses. "

If Yes--"Subtract line 4 from line 3. Enter the result here and on Form 1040, line 26, or Form 1040NR, line 26. This is your moving expense deduction ."

Chad EA, CFP ®
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks!

Have a great day

Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®