Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If you buy a lottery ticket in Kansas but you live in

Colorado. What state do you...
If you buy a lottery ticket in Kansas but you live in Colorado. What state do you get the lawyer for, for taxes. Do you have to get a lawyer for both states.
3/22/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

You do not really have to have a lawyer for the taxes. The state where you win generally withholds tax for fed and state (if they have a state tax ). The reporting for the tax is relatively simple. It is just added to your income for the year on LINE 21 of the 1040 form. Reported for state of residence and if the state has taxes where you win you report for Nonresident tax.

Any tax withheld acts as a payment and that's it.

If one lives in Colorado and wants to look into what to do with the money then a Colorado legal advisor would be best.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4