Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Lane: I forgot an important issue. The llc I use to hold my…

Hello lane:I forgot an important...
Hello lane:I forgot an important issue.The llc I use to hold my title has a bit more situation: the llc used to belong to JL 75% and me Wx 25%. It used to own a land , we sold the land at the beginning of 2017. So the llc has no asset at all. Since I want to keep this LLC, but JL doesn’t, she agreed to sell her 75% to my family trust for $750. Me-Wx sold my 25% to my family trust. My family trust became the sole member of the LLC. But this also happened also in 2017. How my llc file 2017 tax return?If I know these things earlier, i wouldn’t let my family trust buy the llc. I have no intention to escape tax, I wish I ask this before.Here attach my llc amendment and LLC document for referenceThe only reason why every thing happened like is, is because when I purchase my property 17 years ago, I don’t to use llc for protection.
3/22/2018
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

The trust is also a disregarded entity if it is an irrevocable trust.

...

Only IRRevocable trusts (where there is a different tax ID and it files it's own tax return - IRS form 1041) are separate taxable entities treated as someone other than you for tax purposes.

...

Has your 1035 accomodator seen the titling?

And remember this is ALL for tax purposes (deferring capital gains)

...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Iane,I don’t understand your question, what titling?

The deeds. The ownership of the property being exchanged.

...

It's a VERY safe bet that, if they know what the ownership is, they wouldn't touch this unless it qualified.

..

A family trust that is NOT an IRREVOCABLE trust changes nothing.

...

For tax purposes, it's owned by you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I agree. I told 1031 accommodator about this , provide her same documents as I provide to u. She is fine with it.But I made things harder. In 2017, the llc belongs to two members. At the end of 2017, it is sold to my trust as sole member. So how I file 2017 tax return for the llc? Or it doesn’t even matter now?Thank u

Same exact issue. As long as you only report the portions that YOU own (your LLC, Your revocable trust, or you - it's all the same) you'll defer whatever gain those numbers drive.

...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Lane,I m sorry I think u don’t understand my question.I total understand the 1031 exchange now. But my question is not about this.My first llc called jv. has 2 members (75% and 25%) in 2017. Then both members sold their share to my family trust (100%) late 2017. Meaning in same year, JV’s memeber changed. So how jv files it’s tax?

OIC

...

JV files a form 1065 partnership return. LLC's with more than one member are taxed as a partnership unless a form OF corporate taxation is elected.

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS