Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I took a $15,000 taxable distribution (required) in '17.

I took a $15,000 taxable...
I took a $15,000 taxable distribution (required) in '17. Vanguard withheld $1700 tax. This year I sent a payment of $4000 just to try to be blameless. How to I enter these distribution, withhold and the 4k payment.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Richard, Tax Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good afternoon. You would enter the $1700 on Line 64 of your Form 1040 and enter the $4,000 you sent in on line 65. If you had other amounts withheld from your wages, you would also include those on Line 64 and if you sent in other estimated payments, you would also include thos on Line 65.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am using TAXACT

You should get prompted for estimated payments...include the $4,000 there; and, then you will get prompted for amounts withheld...include the $1700 there.

Richard, Tax Attorney

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.

Richard, Tax Attorney