Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My mother receives payments under a term care policy. It is…

Customer Question
My mother receives payments...

My mother receives payments under a long term care policy. It is not per diem . I have a 1099-Ltc form from the company. Do I report it on the1040 at all ? If so, where?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

That is all

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/22/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 month ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Amounts you receive from them (other than policyholder dividends or premium refunds) are excludable in most cases from in-come as amounts received for personal injury or sickness. To claim an exclusion for payments made on a per diem or other periodic basis under a long-term care insurance contract, you must file Form 8853 with your return.

You will calculate exclusion amount using Per Diem values - that is regardless payments are calculated in different way.

Under this limit, the excludable amount for any period is figured by subtracting any reim-bursement received (through insurance or oth-erwise) for the cost of qualified long-term care services during the period from the larger of the following amounts.
The cost of qualified long-term care serv-ices during the period.
The dollar amount for the period ($360 per day for any period in 2017).

See Section C of Form 8853 and its instructions for more information.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8853.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The 1099-Ltc is checked “reimbursed amount. I think that means it is not taxable. Correct? And how do I show that on the 1040?

That might be not taxable - but that determination will be made on form 8853.

If you ignore that reporting - you will get IRS assessment letter.

You will report that income - calculate the excludable amount - and if payment is less than the excludable amount - none will be taxable.

That is very common situation.

So - on form 1040 - that amount will not be reported - but form 8853 will be attached with all these calculations.

Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 26 days ago

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor