Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

IS damage to kitchen cabinets done by slow drain hose leak…

Customer Question
IS damage to kitchen...

IS damage to kitchen cabinets done by slow drain hose leak on dish washer that insurance would not cover deductible on income tax?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Insurance would not cover because it was a slow water leak over several weeks Had to replace all cabinets.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Paid 9000.00 dollars for replacements

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Tax
3/22/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 28 days ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Per the IRS, "A casualty loss can result from the damage, destruction, or loss of your property from any sudden, unexpected, or unusual event such as a flood, hurricane, tornado, fire, earthquake, or volcanic eruption. A casualty doesn't include normal wear and tear or progressive deterioration."

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc515

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Damage was done to drain hose small leak that was covered by insurance

I understand, but based on the information you provided, it would seem the leak may have been due to normal wear and tear or progressive deterioration.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent