Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Personal tax question. I own a small struggling retail in…

Good morning Accountant's Assistant:...

Good morning

Accountant's Assistant: Hi. How can I help?

Personal tax question

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I own a small struggling retail biz in Florida.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

In an effort to stay afloat personally. I paid myself 10k last year as owners draw.

3/22/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

What is your specific question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did not pay taxes on the owners draw, how can I record it as income on my personal tax return without getting beat up ? In it's current form, I stand to owe back taxes of $4000.

What type of entity are you?

Sole Proprietorship?

S corporation?

C corporation?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
LLC. 2017 was tough because of the hurricane.

If you're a sole member LLC, the income and expenses get reported on Schedule C of your personal tax return.

You will pay income tax and self employment tax (Social Security and Medicare) on your NET income.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We had a loss of $8,000.

Did you complete your Schedule C?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. Bookkeeping, tax stuff is my kryptonite. Wouldn't even know how to start. Lol

Then you don't know if you have a profit or a loss.

You should complete Schedule C with your income and expenses because there's no way you can determine your tax until you know whether you have a profit or loss.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, thx. Bye

You're welcome.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Have a great day!

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent