Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Iwas suppose to get back in refund direrct deposit 5,333.00…

Customer Question
Hi my name is...

Hi my name is ***** ***** suppose to get back in refund direrct deposit 5,333.00 and i only got 935.00 can you help me figure this out

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

That is pretty much the story i claim head of household with one dependant iam on social security and had to stop working the end of last year and it got file with Taxact

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I dont believe so

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
3/22/2018
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 3 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Usually when this happens the iRS has OFFSET the refund for a past debt. Certain financial debts from your past may affect your current federal tax refund. The law allows the use of part or all of your federal tax refund to pay other federal or state debts that you owe.

If you have unpaid debts, such as overdue child support, state income tax or student loans, the IRS may apply part or all of your tax refund to pay that debt.

You will receive a notice from Federal Govt if an offset occurs. The notice will include the original tax refund amount and your offset amount. It will also include the agency receiving the offset payment and that agency’s contact information.

If it is not from that but the IRS had to recalculate they will tell you that as well.