Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a LLC in the US. It is a partnership of two

Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a LLC in the US. It is a partnership of two non-resident aliens. A potential customer is asking us for a W9 which AFAIK we can't sign W9 as NRA. What can we provide as a partnership to the potential customer?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

The potential customer is a US company. Not sure I can think of anything else relevant.

3/22/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

The LLC/partnership should have an EIN. That is the number to use on the W-9.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Hi Barbara,
You are correct, we have an EIN issued by IRS. However, part of the W9 for is following declaration:Quote:
Under penalties of perjury, I certify that:
1. The number shown on this form is my correct taxpayer identification number (or I am waiting for a number to be issued to me); and
2. I am not subject to backup withholding because: (a) I am exempt from backup withholding, or (b) I have not been notified by the Internal Revenue
Service (IRS) that I am subject to backup withholding as a result of a failure to report all interest or dividends, or (c) the IRS has notified me that I am
no longer subject to backup withholding; and
3. I am a U.S. citizen or other U.S. person (defined below); and
4. The FATCA code(s) entered on this form (if any) indicating that I am exempt from FATCA reporting is correct.Definition of a U.S. person. For federal tax purposes, you are considered a U.S.
person if you are:
• An individual who is a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien;
• A partnership, corporation, company, or association created or organized in the
United States or under the laws of the United States;
• An estate (other than a foreign estate); or
• A domestic trust (as defined in Regulations section(###) ###-####7).
Quote ends.We are not US citizens, neither we have green card or live in the US. We are European Union citizens. I see there is "Partnership" mentioned under classification of a US Person. Does that apply to us? We do not want to do anything against law by mistake.

It is the LLC/partnership that is providing/completing the W-9, not you individually. That's why you will provide the LLC/partnership's EIN.

The W-9 should be completed using the LLC's name, etc. and you will sign as a partner.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Awesome, thank you for your answer!

My pleasure.

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Have a great day!