Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a 14 year old i'm guardian of her real father passed…

I have a 14...

I have a 14 year old i'm guardian of her real father passed away and we filed for ssa benefits on his account. SSa-1099 I have for her do I need to file taxes on this? She is on my account as a dependent since 2006

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits properly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

Do I add this to my taxes when I file?

3/22/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

These social security benefits paid to your dependent - are HER benefits - reported in her name and her SSN.

Do not include that income into your tax return - that is not your income,

regardless if you claim the child as your dependent.

Let me know if that was helpful.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
I also read IRS 915 which answered all my questions on social security benefits.